Coconut, water chestnut, mushroom & eggplant curry
- 1 tablespoon of rendang curry paste
- 2 tablespoons of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of favourite curry spice
- 1 can of water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 can of champignon mushrooms
- 1 diced onion
- 1 grated clove of garlic
- 1 grated piece of fresh ginger
- Half a bunch of coriander
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of peanut oil
- 2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 200ml of pure coconut cream
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 small eggplants, diced
- 1 large red chilli
- Fry up the onions, garlic and ginger with peanut and coconut oil until onions are brown.
- Add rendang curry, cumin and curry powder. Stir until fragrant.
- Now add mushrooms, sliced water chestnuts and eggplant until eggplant is browned (you want the water chestnuts and mushroom to absorb the flavours).
- Push the ingredients to one side of the pot and add the diced tomatoes and half of the diced chilli. Simmer until the liquid is reduced and mix in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Now add coconut cream and simmer until it thickens.
- Add the chopped coriander and thyme and serve with brown rice, dahl, sweet potato or taro.
Red lentil & brown rice soup
- Boiled brown rice
- Red lentils
- Brown onion chopped
- Grated garlic (3 cloves)
- Grated ginger (one piece)
- Grated carrot
- Two large tomatoes, chopped
- Curry powder
- Coconut cream
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to pot and heat
- Add ginger, garlic and onion to oil; cook until soft.
- Add 1–2 tablespoons of curry powder and salt to taste.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Wash lentils and add to the cooked ingredients and stir until covered and mixed well then add enough water to cover the lentils by 5 cm.
- Wait until mixture boils and add extra water if needed.
- Remove once cooked and blend in boiled brown rice, fresh coconut cream and half a cup of water.
Reheat if needed and serve. Enjoy.
More Pacific inspiration
Jennifer Waiko is an enthusiastic cook, health coach and media personality. She loves finding new ways to use plant-based ingredients from all around the Pacific to make delicious and healthy food. She lives in PNG’s Markham Valley with her family. For more healthy meal ideas, follow Jennifer Waiko on Instagram: @healthypacific.